Sunday, July 10, 2016

5 types of shoes every vintage girl should own

Hello dear readers!

It's been a while since I last wrote. I kind of lost my blogging mojo and wasn't sure what to write about and if I should write at all. Sometimes I feel like I haven't made any blogging progress over the past six years and other blogs look so polished and have great content. But I like blogging. I like to write and I love the blogging community. I even got a few ideas for different categories of posts. So for now, I'll just keep blogging.

I've been thinking alot about how to build a vintage wardrobe lately as I find myself having no basic pieces of clothing to match more special pieces with. I have collected A LOT of stuff since I started wearing vintage back in 2010. I also sold or gave away quite a few things but still, I don't have a wardrobe which really works. I feel like I have to start from scratch (apart from keeping pieces which I absolutely love - or would never part with) which is scary, but I'm also kind of excited.

As you know, I wore modern clothing a while back and even though I was happy with the newfound freedom I gave myself, I didn't feel special at all and clothing was not as much fun anymore. I slowly started wearing vintage again and it has been like that eversince. But now, for once and for all, I want to have a fully functioning wardrobe with clothing that makes me feel awesome.
 I'm going to write posts about building a wardrobe as I go through this experience myself. Perhaps it is useful for some of you.

Let's get cracking!

Shoes are very important to finish a certain look. So much details have changed over the past years. Materials, shapes, heels etc. It can be really hard to find vintage style shoes that look the part, but luckily there are some very timeless shoes out there which are still being made and sold today. Here is a list of shoes I think every girl should own. I'm focussing mostly on the 30s/40s here but these will work for any 'vintage' decade I think.

1. Oxfords




Suitable for almost any decade, a good pair of oxfords is definitely a good investment. If you choose good quality and get run-down soles and heels fixed, they can last for quite some time. Depending on the height of the heel they can be very stylish or just perfect for wearing every day, especially if you have to go to college, run a lot of errands or like to walk a lot.

2. Pumps





Every girl needs to own a pair of pumps. When paired with a nice dress and some jewelery, you're ready for a party in no time. They are also very versatile. If you pick the right colour for your wardrobe, you can pair them with lots of dresses and seperates.

3. White sports shoes





These have been around since the 1920s and are availabe in clothing/shoestores when Spring comes and the weather gets warmer. They look lovely with a playsuit or summer dress and a cute straw hat. They are very comfortable as well so they are great to wear while on vacation or a trip. And the great thing is: these shoes are made of fabric so you can just put them in the washing machine when they get dirty!

4. Penny loafers/moccasins




A signature shoe for 40s and 50s looks. This type is a timeless classic and you can still find these in stores. Usually availabe in brown, black or dark blue, these make a great wardrobe staple to pair with dresses, skirts and trousers. And they look so cute with a pair of white socks!



5. Wedges




This type of shoe was very popular in the 40s and they are in fashion again now, which makes it really easy to find 40s style shoes for summer. You can buy these in all kinds of colours, or even make a pair yourself! Despite of the usually high wedge, they're quite comfortable as well, so great for a day at the beach!

I hope this post will help you find some great vintage style shoes to build your wardrobe with. Also, I'd love to hear from you, dear readers, what you think about this kind of post. It might be a start of a whole series about wardrobe building!

With love,

Jip







3 comments:

forties@heart said...

Hi, Keep blogging, I love your blog, and the shoe piece was really interesting. Unfortunately, I take a size 10 in shoes, so I find it impossible to find many of these in my size.

Witchcrafted Life said...

Fantastic roundup! I have very hard to fit feet (I'm not joking when I say that I often have to try on 200+ pairs of shoes to find one that even remotely works well for me), so I don't own a ton of different styles, but was delighted to see that I had four out of the five mentioned here - and have been looking for the 5th, pennyloafers, for some 15+ years now. I'm sure that a pair that actually works for me will come my way sooner or later. :)

Big hugs & happy summertime wishes,
♥ Jessica

Birthe said...

Such a nice post, do keep on blogging! I think you look very well put together already but I can understand how you feel! Vintage basics are so diffucult to find, it's always the dressy dresses that survive ;) Good that you added several sensible shoe styles to your list,heels are all good and well but if you are up on your feet all day a true challenge. For me personally: I'm in love with espadrilles for summer. Also easy to find and cheap. Bought a great pair at H&M that looks so much like the ones you see in old pictures. And you can change the laces that go around your ankle to match any outfit.
Looking forward to your next posts on creating your wardrobe! And if you want to go shopping let me know :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...